Our V8 Bug Project!
|Search The V8 Beetle Resource|
My dad and I had a lot of fun trying to get our beetle to my house...... First of all the tires were sunk into the ground about 4" and the ground was froze. Luckily the seller had a skidsteer with forks on it and he was able to pull one tire out at a time and we sat it on some 2x8's. After we got it free from the frozen ground we found out that all 4 brakes were locked up. Luckily the ground was covered with snow so the guy drug it out for us. The 2x8's acted like ski's and it pulled real easily. We then coved the trailer with snow and pulled it onto the trailer with a come-a-long.
Unfortunately by the time we got it back to our house almost all of the snow melted so we couldn't use that to help us out. We ended up having to use ratchet straps, we strapped it to the tree in our backyard to pull it off of the trailer. We sprayed down the tires with good old WD40 but it was still hard to pull it off so we started to drive the trailer out from under it while the car was strapped to the tree. That worked good until we had it about half way off, then it started pulling crocked. We had to jack up the back of the car and adjust the ramps, we then adjusted the trailer and went back to the ratchet straps. We ended up pouring a little 2 stoke oil (first thing I found) on the wooden ramps and that helped A LOT. My dad was ratcheting the straps and I was prying on the front axel to help wiggle it off of the trailer. We finally got the front tires about half way down the ramps and we then drove out from under it the rest of the way...... It sure was rough getting it home, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.......