Our 350 chevy V8 Powered 1969 VW Beetle Hot Rod Project
Sign up here to get updates on
Our V8 Bug Project!

Search The V8 Beetle Resource


v8 vw beetle sitting outside

Here I got the axle bearings and seals pressed in, and the axle flanges and backing plates bolted back on. You'll also noticed that all the hardware is new too. I just couldn't stand to put any old rusty bolts and nuts back on here. If you need just a few of several sizes of bolts check out www.boltsdepot.com Being that I only need 4 or 8 bolts and nuts here or there they were cheaper than getting a box of each bolt.



v8 bettle chassis getting undercoated with master series and hurculiner

Here I got the emergency brakes back on. Most of these new parts are from www.rockauto.com by the way. At they time they were the cheapest on most everthing. Buying some of the small stuff was actually cheaper to get from oreillys locally. I also like buying brake parts from oreillys because of the life time warrenty. Just shop around a bit....

v8 bettle chassis getting undercoated with master series and hurculiner

Excuse my mess on my mobile workbench / router table............ LOL

v8 bettle chassis getting undercoated with master series and hurculiner

Next I put in the axles, then I taped off the E-brake pads, bearings, etc and sprayed a little black paint on the inside of the backing plates, I'll be undercoating the rest of the rear end latter on and didn't want the silver on the inside of the backing plates to stick out. (sorry forgot to get pictures). Then I got my new rotors put on, which I got from oreillys locally.

v8 bettle chassis getting undercoated with master series and hurculiner

Then I got my brake pads put in the new calipers and the calipers put on with new hardware.

v8 bettle chassis getting undercoated with master series and hurculiner

Just a look at the other side.

v8 bettle chassis getting undercoated with master series and hurculiner

At that point I was ready to put some wheels and tires on the rear end and get it under the beetle. I picked up a pair or rims with lt285/75r15 tires on them on craigslist for $40.00. I was planning on putting 29" tires on the back end of the beetle but these are 31.8" tall and about an inch wider too.

v8 bettle chassis getting undercoated with master series and hurculiner



v8 bettle chassis getting undercoated with master series and hurculiner

The tires actually fit in the wheel wells, but are bigger than I'm wanting, but I was wanting to go smaller with the front tires and with these tires and the taller front tires the car has the same stance it would with the sizes I wanted. So for now I'll use these tires to mock things up.

v8 bettle chassis getting undercoated with master series and hurculiner

Right now the axle is just under there temperarly. the mounting pads area actually further apart than the s10 mounting pads were. I've seen some people just let the leaf springs bow out a bit, and elongate the holes in the mounting pads to line up. I'm not a big fan of either of those, and I will already have to make some angled blocks to get my pinion angle correct so I'll just make the angled blocks with ofset centering holes so everything lines up nicely. I'm not sure if I will mill them out of steel, or cast some out of aluminum at work and heat treat them, etc............

v8 bettle chassis getting undercoated with master series and hurculiner

Here are a couple better pictures I got outside once it stopped raining

v8 bettle chassis getting undercoated with master series and hurculiner



- Home - About Our Beetle - Our Plans - Getting it Home - Collecting Parts - Stripping the Beetle - Body Work -
- Engine & Trans. - Chassis - Cost of Project - Links/Resources - Visitors Gallery - Site Map - Contact Us -