Our 350 chevy V8 Powered 1969 VW Beetle Hot Rod Project
Sign up here to get updates on
Our V8 Bug Project!

Search The V8 Beetle Resource


Our 350 chevy V8 Powered 1969 VW Beetle Hot Rod Project Sitting in my driveway

Next I needed to be able to mount the engine to the chassis. There are conversion mounts to put a 350 on an s10 chassis, but I wasn't sure it would put the engine where it needed to be for the beetle, plus the steel I had wasn't quite big enough to make them, so I decided to make my own.


Our 350 chevy V8 Powered 1969 VW Beetle Hot Rod Project sitting in my driveway

I had some 1/2" think plastic so I cut it to the same size as the steel that I had. With the engine hanging over the chassis I decided how I wanted the motor mounts to site on the adaptor.


Our 350 chevy V8 Powered 1969 VW Beetle Hot Rod Project sitting in my driveway

Here I have the plastic drilled and tapped for the motor mount and the extra material trimmed off.


Our 350 chevy V8 Powered 1969 VW Beetle Hot Rod Project sitting in my driveway

Here is the mount bolted to my plastic adaptor.


Our 350 chevy V8 Powered 1969 VW Beetle Hot Rod Project sitting in my driveway Our 350 chevy V8 Powered 1969 VW Beetle Hot Rod Project sitting in my driveway


Our 350 chevy V8 Powered 1969 VW Beetle Hot Rod Project sitting in my driveway

Next I wanted to put the mounts and adaptors in to see how the engine was going to sit on the chassis. It looks like I'll have plunty of room to move the engine forwards or backards if I need to but the engine was sitting too high. It turns out that the cradle mounts from a truck are taller than those from a car, and mine were from a truck. Instead of spending money on new cradle mounts I decided to trim the ones I had.


Our 350 chevy V8 Powered 1969 VW Beetle Hot Rod Project sitting in my driveway

Here I have them marked to be cut. I Move the mounting holes as close the engine as possible and I also moved them in just a little but. It did this because the drivers side mount was going to be VERY close to the steering shaft. After trimming these cradles down the engine looked a lot better and I had plunty of room for the steering shaft.


Our 350 chevy V8 Powered 1969 VW Beetle Hot Rod Project sitting in my driveway

Next I made my adaptors out of steel. I actually found the steel for this stuff in a dumpster, it has a few holes in it, but I can work around those. I took the steel to work and cut them on our big bandsaw and them drilled and tapped them.


Our 350 chevy V8 Powered 1969 VW Beetle Hot Rod Project sitting in my driveway

Here are the mounts bolted to the adaptors.


Our 350 chevy V8 Powered 1969 VW Beetle Hot Rod Project sitting in my driveway Our 350 chevy V8 Powered 1969 VW Beetle Hot Rod Project sitting in my driveway Our 350 chevy V8 Powered 1969 VW Beetle Hot Rod Project sitting in my driveway Our 350 chevy V8 Powered 1969 VW Beetle Hot Rod Project sitting in my driveway


Our 350 chevy V8 Powered 1969 VW Beetle Hot Rod Project sitting in my driveway

The engine looks like it is sitting on the chassis real nice, but I'm going to wait to weld in the adaptors untill I can sit the body on the frame so I can get the engine posistioned just right.


Our 350 chevy V8 Powered 1969 VW Beetle Hot Rod Project sitting in my driveway Our 350 chevy V8 Powered 1969 VW Beetle Hot Rod Project sitting in my driveway


- Home - About Our Beetle - Our Plans - Getting it Home - Collecting Parts - Stripping the Beetle - Body Work -
- Engine & Trans. - Chassis - Cost of Project - Links/Resources - Visitors Gallery - Site Map - Contact Us -